The Occupy Movement started on September. 17, 2011, when an an uncoordinated group of activists started a loosely structured protest, commonly known as Occupy Wall Street. They camped in a privately owned park called Zuccotti, in New York’s financial district. The group protested against social inequality, corporate greed, harsh supremacy of main banks and international conglomerates over the independent progression. The idea behind the protests was to camp out to an equivalent period carried by the North African protests earlier in 2011. The group rolled out a slogan – “we are the 99 percent” – and this really impacted strongly all over the nation. In essence the 1% symbolized the haves and the rest 99% was the have-nots (SORKIN, 2012).
It was not long before similar demonstrations started erupting in numerous other American cities. This act impacted strongly the U.S. political arena as public debate was being changed as the Republicans threw out critics about the movement while the Democrats sympathized it. “Occupy” jargon ruled politics as the Democrats in Congress began to vote for President Obama’s Jobs Act. On the other hand, the Republicans accused the protestors of carrying out class warfare (SORKIN, 2012).
The protest grew rapidly within its first week of demonstrating as it spread to other cities. The police counteracted these protests by either using pepper spray or arresting those who became more rowdy. For instance on October 1st, 700 protestors were arrested as they marched from the Zuccotti Park. On October 5th the movement got back up from the labor unions as they wanted to achieve grip on them. At first, the movement got less media coverage, but as it spread all over the nation, media houses started covering the occupy movement to the point of slotting them in first pages of their papers as well as on the forefront of television news bulletin (Gabbatt, 2012).
As a result of the longevity of the demonstrations, worldwide protests erupted when people all over the world started expressing their discontent concerning economic tides. In Asia and Europe, people marched past the famous ancient monuments, as well as assembled around capitalist symbols. These protests across Europe were largely peaceful, except for Rome riots (Gabbatt, 2012).
During the recent months the movement has become smaller and smaller. This happened majorly because the police quelled down these protests by arresting the demonstrators and even went to the extent of closing all camping sites, where these people stayed. In spring the sleep-outs became smaller and smaller, as people opted to go home after being forcefully evicted from these sites. Another thing that caused the Occupy Movement to fade was their declining visibility. This drew less and less attention, so media withdrew from covering protestors not to lose their platform (SORKIN, 2012).
The written media extensively covers the Occupy Movement and it gives detailed account of what really happened throughout the time when the movement was in power. By looking at how information is passed across, one can say that the author was in support of the movement. Only a person with interest or in support of it would give such covering news.
The author points out how protests were quelled by the police and forced out of camping sites, and through this he reveals why the movement lost its vigor. On the other hand, the author seems to question why Oakland of all places was still involved in the Occupy movement, basing his arguments on the fact that the city is too poor and cheap to pull such protests. Thus the author tends to discredit the reason why citizens in Oakland were and are protesting against (SORKIN, 2012).
I disagree with the author’s assessment on Oakland and its involvement in the Occupy Movement, as he tends to base is arguments on the economic status of the city. Demonstration, or rather fighting against capitalism, does not mean that if you are poor you are entitled to protest, this menace called capitalism affects everyone, yet mostly the destitute. Oakland people have the right to voice their grievances.