Character Analysis Essay
Composing a character analysis essay can be done using a range of methods, and students are recommended to use the most suitable technique, which is the narrative style. However, students should note that if the object of the character analysis essay is to compare one character with another, then the compare and contrast style is best to use. Also beware that writing such an essay about somebody famous (real or fictional) requires lots of care to be taken in the research. It is crucial that the information you provide is authentic and accurate. Including details which are incorrect could be very embarrassing, so make sure you get it right the first time. The last thing you want to do is spark controversy or arguments with those who read your essay.
Instructions for a character analysis essay:
- Choose an interesting character, and then begin the first paragraph of your essay with an introduction of who he or she is, explaining their importance and role in the story, and lastly, why you chose the particular character.
- Your chosen character should also be defined. Is he the hero (protagonist) or the villain (antagonist)? Alternatively, is he or she a ‘catalyst’ or merely a supporting player? Note that a character considered to be a catalyst is one that inspires one of the main characters to take an action that they would not have done otherwise.
- List all of the positive aspects of your character, together with any weaknesses they have that need to be overcome. Remember that in most cases, heroes and villains are never 100% good or bad, and often have numerous traits.
- Identify the mission or quest of your character. Their mission is essentially what influences them to act in the way they do towards their opponents in the story, and is what drives forward the story in the book. Character missions are often based on things like revenge, escape or reward. You will need to underline the importance of the character’s mission.
- Pay close attention to the character’s actions throughout the story and the subtext of them – then say what they tell about the character’s personality. Give examples of this.
- Lastly, be sure to mention symbolism in the story.
It’s a good idea to look for symbolism in objects that might be associated with a particular character in any story, and identify the importance of these objects. Also, make sure when writing a character analysis essay that you discuss the resolution of the story’s conflicts and how these affect the spiritual and emotional growth of your character. You can compare aspects of the character’s personality to those of your own, and talk about the things you like and things you don’t like about them. Another idea is to say how you would have approached things if you were faced with the same situation as your character.
Just remember that you are not supposed to be rehashing the plot of the story in your character analysis essay. Instead, you are trying to focus on the personality of one of the main players in the story, as well as his or her actions and reactions to certain events. Focus on why certain things took place, rather than how they took place. Finally, if you still feel as if you can’t write a compelling essay, you can always make use of our custom essay writing service. Buy a cheap essay paper online and make your life easier!